Race The Helix Treadmill Challenge
A Chance Meeting
We were fortunate enough to be meet Alka Chaubey from Greenwood Genetic Center (GGC) earlier this year. She told us two amazing stories. One was the story of how GGC was founded, the other was how they helped one family in particular give their daughter a chance at life. Hearing about GGC and their work was inspirational, but what really hit us even harder was what the family did for GGC in return. To make sure other families get the same financial support and level of treatment they received, they started up a fundraising event for the GGC Trust called Race The Helix.
We covered the story in full here.
Run Your Way To Prizes and Support a Good Cause!
To support Race The Helix, we are setting up a treadmill on the exhibition floor, and bringing the race to the Festival of Genomics. We need you to help us reach the 50 mile mark by the end of The Festival.
We need teams of runners to sign up and help us cover the distance.
• There is no limit on team size, or number of times an individual can run for his or her team within the 20 minute slot.
• The registration fee amount is completely up to your discretion. As a guide we are hoping to get an average of 1,000 USD per team.
• Changing and showering facilities are present on site, so no need to worry about spending the rest of your day sweaty from the run.
• 100% of all the funds raised will go directly to the Greenwood Genetic Center Trust.
While helping a good cause is a reward in itself, we also wanted to make sure there were some awards and prizes for everyone who takes part.
The GGC team will be awarding trophies for the most distance covered by a female; most distance covered by a male; and the extremely coveted prize for ‘best dressed runner’.
We also have 3 prizes to give away:
• Full interview in Front Line Genomics Magazine. The interview can be with absolutely anyone of your choice, and will get the full FLG treatment in our print and online magazine.
• Full page ad in Front Line Genomics Magazine.
• A 10 minute speaking slot on the tech forum stage at the Festival of Genomics of your choice.
As teams might place a different value on each prize, the 1st place team will get to pick their preferred prize, followed by the team in 2nd, leaving the final prize for the 3rd placed team.
As well as being some added fun to the Festival, this is also a very good cause to get behind. Seeing how much these donations mean to the families who will benefit is an extraordinarily humbling experience. We really need as many of you to get involved and give what you can to help GGC continue to make a difference.
If you want to register a team, or if you have any questions – send an e-mail in to Lori Bassett on firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Race The Helix’.
Or if you want to make the trip down to Greenwood this October and run the real thing – visit the GGC website and register for the 5K race today!